Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
Pint Creamer Carton Challenge by Blackheart YT Channel

So, I've just spent an hour of my life which I will never get back googling the size of elk vitals vs. whitetail vitals, calculating the area of various diameter circles vs. the area of a milk jug, measuring the smallest dimension of a milk jug (5 3/4 inches) vs. other containers in my fridge (3 inches for a pint carton) vs. the max group size to hit said objects 100% of the time, comparing the oblongish shape of said vitals vs. the uprightish shape of milk jugs and other containers in my fridge and I've come to the science-based conclusion that elk vitals are to a milk jug what whitetail vitals are to a pint of 1/2 & 1/2.

Soooo, given my fellow Easterner, Blackheart's contention that a rifleman can hit a milk jug regularly off-hand at 100 yards (despite Blackheart's contrary and caustic personality, I agree with almost 50% of what he says including this)(sherm_61, quite a few BH types out here but, in-person if you just give them their schitt right back at them, they're mostly pussy cats and sometimes pretty decent dudes), hows about we do an Eastern Challenge: 100 pint creamer cartons set up in the woods at from 50 to 125 yards to be shot off-hand? My money says Mr. Blackheart struggles to put up numbers equal to the Backfire cast of characters on their milk jugs. Then extrapolating from BH's conclusion, we can say that nobody should shoot at elk more than 200 yards away and deer at more than 50 yards. laugh
Point one, I rarely shoot at deer more than 75 yards away. Point 2, I practice shooting offhand through spring, summer and fall from 65 yards {all I have in my back yard} and can consistently hit a 2" target at that range. How consistently ? My son and I have weekend competitions where one of us shoots at a 2" target until we miss, then the other shoots until a miss. My record is 78 times in a row. Point 3, each season a day or two before the opener I step out back and put a couple groups on paper offhand with the rifle I'll be hunting with. Last season I shot two 3 shot groups from 50 yards. The first 3 shot group measured 3/4". The "second 3 shot group a hair over an inch. At 6:58 the next morning, I shot a buck offhand from approximately 45 yards. Not surprisingly I hit him exactly where I intended. A whitetails vitals or a milk jug at 100 is comparatively easy.

That's some awesome marksmanship, my friend, certainly better than I'm capable of. But, you're missing my point.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder