Originally Posted by Rolly
I am looking at buying a new NightForce SHV scope in 3.5X10X42 with a second focal plane reticule. I will be using this on my M7 Remington 358 Win for hogs in Texas. Shooting over bait at most perhaps 100 yards in very dim light. I have never owned a NightForce in my 77 years. I am interested in hearing opinions about my proposed purchase.

Originally Posted by Big Stick
The SHV NightFarce Light is an easy pass. Go REAL NightFarce and never look back. Hint.

I'm not a Trijicon Guy,mainly because I've bought/shot their BEST attempts. Hint.............

Concur on skipping the SHV and move up in the line to the NXS or NX8.

Illumination is extremely helpful, I would not want a scope without it for hunting pigs.

I've shot truck loads of pigs off of feeders and ag fields with the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 and NXS 5.5-22x56.

There is no need for the .358, although it certainly is more than enough for the task.

The ability to reliably put the bullet at the base of the ear matters more than power. If you are going to aim for the shoulder or heart, moving up to a heavier bullet helps. Use a bullet that penetrates reliably.

These days, I mostly use the NXS 2.5-10x42 atop a light .308 with an 18" barrel, a can, and Barnes TTSX 130's though have shot 100's with the 175 SMK too.

Bring a cooler with you, the meat is quite good and I am no fan of pork from the store.

Here are some videos for you, courtesy of my wife and a nephew doing the shooting, both using a NXS 5.5-22x56.