Some of you blokes are just too ready to jump in, in complete ignorance of the facts, to let your prejudices have full rein. I thought it was only the left which would seek to capitalise on tragedies to make petty political points.

There's just so much nonsense to wade through. It wasn't a terrorist event. The bloke wasn't a Muslim. He was an Australian, with a history of mental illness, and according to his parents and some of the women he dated, socially inept and desperate for a relationship - an incel in other words.

Self defence isn't illegal here. The men didn't all run away - several confronted him, while others helped women and children to safety. Those who confronted him are being hailed for it, not criticised. Would you armchair heroes have done any better?

Yes, people don't carry here. But they never did. People in Australia didn't routinely go armed even when it was legal. Australia is a safe place - crime rates are low and have steadily been dropping for decades. And incidents like this are vanishingly rare. I remember well the last time there was a mass killing in a shopping centre, because I was there - and it was 33 years ago. It was the first time too. However as this and the other stabbing this week have demonstrated, that doesn't mean we are cowards - people will step up nonetheless, and confront evildoers.

I don't need to be lectured or sneered at about our gun laws either. Especially by those who have no clue what they are. I lived through all of what followed Port Arthur, and I don't agree with much of what changed. However, I quite like living in a country where people don't generally feel the need to go armed to do the shopping.