Originally Posted by texashunter9
What gun in 300winmag is comprable to the sako 85 or better, that is in the same price range?

Can anyone post pictures of their 85 setup?

I consider the Kimber Montana to be probably the closest combination to a Sako 85. IMO they both have advantages and disadvantages over the other. I've had great luck with the 9 Kimber Centerfire rifles I've had, though there have been some complaints of varying quality control. A good Kimber however can be a great rifle and equal to the Sako 85. I hunt with both of them.

My Sako model 85 is a 270 WSM Grey Wolf with a Swaro 3-12x50 PH with the TDS reticle, in Optilock mounts:

[Linked Image]

The deer isn't the biggest one we shot this year where I was hunting in Pennsylvania but he's tasting great!

I've also hunted a bit with Sako 75's. This one is a 300 RUM with a Swaro 4-16x50 PH, TDS again with Optilock mounts:

[Linked Image]

Again, not the biggest Elk of the year but he ate great, my Mom and Stepdad ate almost the whole Elk!.

Of the 2 rifles, so far the 300 RUM is more accurate. I probably should work on load developement a little more for the WSM. I wouldn't say that 75's are more accurate than 85's just this example. I'm sure that my 85 Grey Wolf will improve with a little more work, it's about the 3/4" 3 shot group at 100yd rifle. I prefer the Grey Wolf stock to the old synthetic because it's shaped better and feels "Warmer" being made of laminated wood. The laminated seemed to hold up well in the rain I was hunting in......................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................