I do handload and use a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet in front of either 41.5 grains of IMR4895 or 40.0 grains of IMR3031. I'm gonna investigate H4895 and a few other powders this Spring, Summer and Autumn before deer season and work up a new hunting load with the Nosler Ballistic Tips.

However, since you don't handload, I'd stick with what works... and if Jeff (Gophergunner) sez that 180 grain RN Core-Lokts work best, then that's what I'd buy.

I know Jeff personally... he is a knowledgable, seasoned deer hunter and you can definitely trust what he sez (except when he's telling you about the "big one that got away"). grin grin grin

Seriously, I'd try the 150 grain AND the 180 grain (if you can readily find the 180 grain bullets) Core-Loks and see which one shoots best (most accurately) in your rifle.

Frankly, with the .300 Savage cartridge, you are already working with a very limited powder capacity... and the longer 180 grain bullet sticks down into the powder chamber even further than the 150 grain bullet thus limiting the amount of powder (and thus the muzzle velocity) that can be put into the smallish .300 Savage cartridge case.

On the other hand, accuracy is more important than a few hundred feet of muzzle velocity... so check out BOTH the 150 grain and the 180 grain Core-Lokt bullets and let your rifle decide which one it likes best. Certainly, the 150 grain Core-Lokt is MORE than "adequate" for deer sized game in the .300 Savage cartridge. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...