I killed six eastern birds last year,three with 3.5 inch loads,three with 3 inch loads. In the early season when the leaves are off the trees,I want every advantage in terms of long range patterns.

As the season progresses here in Alabama and Mississippi,the woods green up and the long shots pretty much go away,I switch from my 3.5 inch 870 with a Rhino choke to a Benelli super 90 with a slightly more open choke.

I arrived at this system because I missed a couple of birds on the move in thick cover at twenty steps with the 870 which is set up for shots at 50 yards.

If the arguement is decided by putting the most pellets in a ten inch circle at 50 yards,the 3.5 inch gun is the clear winner based on ten years of patterns with dozens of loads and nearly that many choke tubes. When I know that I may need to shoot past 40 steps,give me the bigger gun.

If the arguement is decided by other factors and the choice is made not to shoot beyond 45 yards max,then there are plenty of 3 inch guns,chokes and loads that can get it done.

Just my views,

Britt