Mr. gerrygoat;
I�ve used an Allen or Uncle Mike�s elastic butt cuff on most of our rifles for awhile now. I�m likely not the fastest gun around, but I was able to hit a running mule deer on the 1st and 3rd shot with the older No. 1 I often hunt with.

I note that I hunt the south Okanagan mostly, so it�s usually pretty dry. I�d think exposed-ammo butt cuff systems might not be the answer if you are out in too much inclement weather. I�ll add I�ve never tried to intentionally subject my ammunition to the elements, I suppose one should sometime in the interest of science.

Some have made the valid point that a butt cuff adds weight to a rifle and potentially ruins the balance and handling qualities. I wouldn�t say it does not do that, but I have learned to adapt.

Speaking of handling qualities, you might want to experiment a bit with off hand shooting with a sling that has 4 rounds of ammo in it. I tried one for a bit that held a lock back knife in it, which while being handy was a bit too much of a pendulum for me to overcome while shooting offhand.

Anyway, good luck with your new stainless No.1.They are a sharp looking rifle to my way of thinking.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"