After a year and a half of planning and se4ven months of actual build time the 458 Socom upper got here to day, went right on the lower I built for it Marty and Teppo Jutsu did a great job I started with a matched Stag upper and lower. TJ did the machine work needed on the upper (opening up the ejection port, and fitting a Barrel and bolt) Now all I need to do is get the rilfe out to test fire it.( if it ever drys up) I will be posting pics when I figure out how.
I did not want to go with the 5.56/.223 chambering, it took me a long time to decide on even getting an AR (35 years) some bad experiances with the M16 A1 when I was in the Marine Corps due mostly to environment and poor ammo. But they stayed with me to the point I chose not to own one or even use one while I was working LE.I always chose a 870 or MP5 while working entry team and warrants) After I retired I was looking for a project, took me a couple years to decide then the Ban sunset so I decided on a Varment AR but my bias towards the 5.56 was still strong so I researched the avalibility of other chamberings. I first settled on a 243 WSSM, and got a deal on a pair of consecutive lowers, one with a matched stripped upper. Then I read about the 458 Socom. Ballistics like a hot loaded 45-70 in a short semi auto carbine. 300 Grn JHP at 2000 FPS and 405 grn JSP at 16-1700 FPS ammo is a bit hard to come by and brass is high but Brass is high for every thing. I will be shooting this beast over the weekend if it stops raining.I will try to post pics to if I can figure it out by then

Last edited by blinddog1; 04/10/08.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from