Yeah, I've read lots of stories about the .22 Mag stepping out of it's design limits and getting the job done.
I once met a guy that used to throphy hunt Blactails with another on a private ranch. They used one scope sighted .22 RFM rifle and never lost anything. Know another who has used his to kill all sorts of large, called predators. Still others who have used it on treed lions. The list is long and distingushed.
BTW, out here at least, the bad guys and somtimes even kids going to school in bad areas, wear body amour. Bad guys also make a habit of getting high on stimulate drugs before they go forth to do bad things, like shooting up a neighborhood. You need to hit such BD's in the nervous system. Even a 12 g. loaded with buck won't stop them at times. An accurate pistol can be much better than a much more powerful one that you can't shoot so well. I no longer live near such stuff, but it does happen here when the gangs decide to visit from the nearby big cities. At least my county is one of the very few gun friendly counties in Ka. not ruled by the liberal feather heads.
I'm planning to use mine on those very long hikes and back packs into some of our very remote wildernesses where every ounce counts. E