Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
I used a load of 52 gr of W-748 under a 225 gr Partition in my MRC 1999 .358 Win. It did kick a bit in my light rifle (under 7 pounds) but the main problem I found was that the tiny granules of W-748, under pressure of a very compressed load, actually went through the primer flash hole and backed my primers out. I don't know if the difference was loading them a month or two before the hunt, the air pressure of the flight or what, but it was a problem I had not expereinced at home with fresh reloads.

After the third or fourth time of hearing a "click" instead of "bang," I used my PH's .375 H&H. Sometimes a second or third try on firing the round by just lifting the bolt handle to re-cock the rifle would work, but not all the time.

I found the 225 gr Barnes TSX and Nosler Accubond were too long for my rifle's throat and had to be seated too deeply. Personally, I like the 225 gr Partition.

My rifle has a 21-inch Montana Rifleman barrel and is in an Edge stock -

[Linked Image]

Your report is quite interesting and possible.

I would add to this discussion that FL sized brass will hold less powder than fire formed brass. I use FL sized brass in my hunting loads. I do not use ball powders at all.

RL-10 is what I use now in the .358 with 180 and 200 gr bullets.