I posted somewhere that I have seen Internet stuff making claims that the .358 can safely be made into a real thumper.... thoughts on what Paco wrote here? Also I have a mold that drops 275 grain bullets... Paco suggests 13.5 grains Red Dot with a 200 grain cast bullet. Has anyone here worked up a reduced load with a heaver .358 cast bullet?

I read your end question and reply, what is your definition of 'thumper'?

The .358 Win is perfectly capable for use against all game in North America when loaded to SAAMI specs. It is an excellent case for use with cast bullets. The only issue with cast is what velocity you can achieve with proper alloy and fit. Harder alloys will shoot fine, their terminal performance may not be what you're looking for.

Most production guns for the cartridge have slow twist rates which can be iffy for longer bullets. I owned one some years ago that stabilized 250 grain Hornady IL bullets (16" twist) with grace and fine accuracy, but I've also seen the same twist fail to do so. 300 grain bullets of lead may stabilize, or not. 300 grain jacketed bullets of that weight almost certainly will not.

So, if you think the cartridge a little light in the shorts, don't bother with it. SAAMI standards for the cartridge do not leave a lot of room for improvement in velocity for any given bullet weight. If you think 2200-2300 fps and 250 grains is a sissy load, get in touch with your local Weatherby dealer and run with it.

Stock standard issue, it is a great cartridge and in the hands of a capable shooter stands tall.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain