You guys are a bad influence. Because of all the discussion lately, I can't keep my mind of my Dmax. I mean, I am always fond of the truck, but due to the recent discussions here, I'm finding I want to do more stuff to it. Normally, I have that problem when I post on The Diesel page, but now it'a problem here as well.

Last week I put on 285/75R16s on 16x8 rims. I finally got the inner fender wells out of the way with the proper clearance. However, I have this itch to go to work on the one spot that has less clearance that I'd like--the inside sheet metal corner of the aft portion of each fender. The tires get within an inch of this place when at about 3/4 steering wheel travel.

It is a spot that I can work on without messing up the looks of the truck. I have the tools to do it. All I need is some primer and a can of that factory matched paint. No, it won't be perfect but to see this spot you'd have to pull the innder fender liner. The paint is mainly for corrosion protection.

I figure I'll clearance this area then take a turn back out of my torsion bars. I have installed aftermarket torsion bar keys designed to have more travel than stock. I've had them on a year and they have been great. I'm not having any problems with their current setting, but I have a gut feel I should take a turn or two out.

My wife has a differet take on all this. After I explained to my wife I had the wheel wells propelry clearanced, she asked if I was going to quit working on it then. I explained that though the clearance is fine now, it would be a problem if I had to put snow chains on or if I jumped the truck and landed with the steering wheel at 3/4 travel. This didn't seem to sway here. We are currently stationed in San Antonio, and I don't normally jump my truck.

I guess she is tired of being a "Diesel truck widow". In my defense, I don't go out with the boys, or troll for stuff I shouldn't. I mean, being an obsessive gear-head, hunter, and trumpet player has to be better than engaging in the typical male carousing. Right?

Anyone else have any of these "issues?"

Blaine