Just because a rifle comes from a gunsmith with a new barrel and an aftermarket synthetic handle doesn't necessarily make it a custom rifle. Conversly just because a rifle comes from the shop of a gunsmith wearing fiberglass doesn't mean that it isn't a custom creation.

I've commissioned both. A rifle I recieved a year ago was the former, and was something I was glad to see go down the road. Now I'll use a rifle that is partially complete right now to illistrate the latter.

This particular rifle is being built on a LH model 70 classic action. The action will be blueprinted which will include: Squareing the action face and recoil lugs, recutting the reciever threads square to the face of the action, machining of the locking lugs and their seats, recutting the boltface, bushing and recutting the firing pin hole to center, recontouring the firing pin itself, timing the safety, recontouring the top of the reciever to mate perfectly to custom bases to accomodate Talley rings, stoning and slicking the action, polishing the feed ramp, replacing the extractor with one made of spring steel, bushing or ripinning the bolt release and trigger group to eliminate slop, and an athstetic polishing...... The action will be matched with custom bottom metal and handmade guard screws and will be pillar bedded into the stock. Finally, the cut rifled barrel will be contoured to facilitate proper balance.

All this metal work will be put into a McMillan stock and yes I consider it custom. Who wouldn't?

Chuck