So with money left from another project I had enough for yet another rifle and I ordered a Ruger SS .358 winchester. My 300WSM with 180 Accubonds is accurate, deadly, but very loud in the woods, thus a need for another "less noisy" rifle surfaced! I saw Steelheads post regards his Ruger .358 rifle was 7.5pounds full up, and this tipped me over the edge, I had always thought rugers where much heavier!! Then the .358 must be less noisy than the 300WSM as it uses quite a bit less powder.

Where does one start with the .358Win in the Ruger for a deer bullet, I was initially thinking of 180 grain pistol bullets, but am now looking for recommendations for an all around bullet/powder combination, I have quite a few Federal LR match primers so I would be starting with those, but don't know best bullet, weight bullet, powder, or reasonable starting place with the gun! Deer are the small Southern Deer variety with 160-170 lbs being a big one where I hunt, ranges are under 150 yards or so, scope will probably start as an FXII 4X from Leupold. Sadly I opted for Rifle magazine instead of handloader this time so do not have access to JB's artical, it seems I should take both of them from now on!