We hunted this area forty years ago, so I don't have any current information. At the time, I lived in southeast Texas, as did the other members of our party. The altitude got to several of my older hunting partners, as we were camping right around 10,000 ft and hunting even higher. We saw lots of elk and no deer. After three days, we dropped down and set up a new camp at about 7,500 ft or so, and started seeing deer right away. Apparently, we had been hunting above them for the first few days.

If I were your age, I would take my pack and hunt in slowly, taking time to glass and look for sign, rather than charging hard to make a predetermined camping spot. A lot depends on the weather--you could have blue bird days or tons of heavy wet snow, or both, in the span of a five-day hunt. I would take a small battery-powered weather radio and check the forecasts every evening.

One strategy that I employed when I used to hunt the San Juan Wilderness by myself was to rent a small mule to carry my camp and pack out my deer. I carried my rifle and my pack with personal gear and put the camp, the food and some oats on the mule. This enabled me to take a day to get in to my hunting area, a couple of days to scout, and then hunt the entire five days without having to walk back out for supplies. It also made getting the meat and horns out a breeze.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...