Thanks to all who are helping in my decision to get a quieter rifle. Thank you Mark T for those links. I am now communicating with Dr. Kramer via e-mail and he has been kind enough to give me some good advice with regards to hunting and shooting. Charlie Sisk - Thank you as well -I am eagerly waiting for your information. In reply to Bog - I have worn good quality hearing protection (top of the line Peltor muffs) most of my shooting career but perhaps it wasn't enough or maybe I'm more predisposed than most to tinnitus - I just don't know. I've run and RO'd many matches and been exposed to hundreds of thousands of shots but always wore hearing protection so I don't know the answer as to why I've developed hearing loss and tinnitus. I know I have to live with it and not do things that will make it worse but I love to hunt and shoot and it would be a great loss to have to give it up. I've been depressed about it for a while now but I think I'm going to try to hunt with a quieter rifle and take up .22 pistol or rifle competition and see how it goes this year. I guess what I really regret is not seeing my friends out at the range anymore. Unfortunately it would make me too miserable just to go out and watch and not compete so I"m not going out at all.