Here is what I have in mind and would appreciate your thoughts on the idea. As some of you already know, my passion is old mausers, but they just weren't made for what I have in mind and could use a little help here.

The other day I was in a pawn shop and the owner showed me a S/S Ruger M77 MKII he had in the back in a 7mm Mag. It had the old boat paddle style zytel stock. The action was very smooth and from wear but looks solid. We went back and forth a little on the price and best I could do was $400 tax included. Seemed like a good deal to me but I don't know.

Here is what I have in mind. I'm in need of a long range rifle. I'm thinking of buying the rifle, selling the stock on ebay, giving away the barrel. then ordering a McMillan stock of some sort and brand name barrel (Lilja, Kreiger etc.) Have the action face squared, lugs lapped if they need it and having it chambered in something that screams like a 257 WBY, .264 WinMag or something like that. Maybe even a wildcat but would prefer not to.

What do you guy's think about the plan? bad choice of action or not. My hunting grounds have changed and I'm thinking I could put something like this to good use. It's probably too late for this year but I could get a good start on next year now.

Thanks,
Terry