O.K., Jack O'Connors favorite loads for the 270 continued minus the previously mentioned 130 grain bullets;

"100 grain bullet with 52 grains of 4064. Velocity--3,300fps. I've shot dozens of coyotes and hundreds of jackrabbits with this load, but for woodchuck shooting I think the recoil is a bit heavy, and it shoots no flatter than good loads in the 243 and the 6mm Remington. For this light bullet I see no point in using slow-burning powders; all you do is increase the muzzle blast."

"150 grain bullet, controlled expanding type at 2,900-2,950 with 58.5 grains of old H4831, 54 grains of 4350 or 58 grains of 785. At 100 yards this load usually shoots within an inch of the 130 grain loads listed above, slightly lower at 200. Some may not agree with me but I have found it a fine elk load and an excellent one for large African antelope. Bob Lee used the Nosler version on leopard, lion, kudu and gemsbok, as well as on lions."

"160 grain bullet [Nosler, Barnes, Dominion] with 52 grains of 4350 or 54 grains of H4831. The late Hosea Sarber, a legendary Alaskan game warden, shot several big brown bears with the Barnes 160-gr. bullet and 52 grains of 4350. He said it killed as well and gave as deep penetration as the 172-gr. Western Tool and Copper Co. bullet he used in his 30-06."

"170/180-gr. bullets. The Speer 170-gr. round-nose soft point will travel along at 2,652 when pushed by 51 grains of 4350 and at 2,785 with 57 grains of H4831. The 180-gr. Barnes has a velocity of 2,650 with 54 grains of 4831. Barnes makes this bullet as a soft point or a solid. If the elephants are raising hell with your sweetpeas and you own a 270 you might try the 180 gr. solid!"

For those that may not know, the Dominion brand was [is] a Canadian arsenal.

From Layne Simpsons Shooters Handbook; "In it's heyday, the Western Tool and Copper Works had a reputation for making some of the best big game bullets available. Most were of cavity point style and constructed with a soft lead core enclosed by an extremely thick copper jacket. The original Barnes bullets developed by Fred Barnes are similar in constuction. Writers of yesteryear, Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith in particular, often wrote about using W.T.C.W. bullets on various and sundry game. In fact, Keiths favorite bullets for two of his favorite cartridges, the 35 Whelen and 400 Whelen, were made by that company. I'm not sure when W.T.C.W. stopped producing bullets but it was probably during the late 1940's."

I seem to recall Jack writing he thought that the W.T.C.W. bullets were made by prison labor. Thoughts?

Deus Juvat