Well I've got it narrowed down a good bit. The recommendations here helped lean me in Canon's direction but today I got a no-brainer reason to choose one of the Canon's. One of my good buddies shoots a Canon and has several lenses including several L's that I'm basically free to use whenever I wish too - Wow.
I'm going to make a list of the Lenses he has and I'll buy complimentary ones to his collection so we can share back and forth.

I looked at a used 5d today. It had a battery grip included, seemed in decent shape with some wear around the flash shoe on top and a little on the bottom of the battery grip. It comes with a 30 day warranty for $1599. I compared it side by side with a 50d. I asked the Salesperson (professional camera store so maybe a little knowledgeable) her opinion on New 50d vs Used 5d and she said she would lean towards new since there's no way exactly to tell how good the internal mechanicals were on the used camera.
How frequently to Camera's have mechanical problems? Do you think that there would be much of a worry buying a used Camera. If something did break how much does a typical repair cost and how long might it take? Does $1599 with a Battery grip sound within reason? Thanks for all the input...................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................