Originally Posted by shaman
Thanks all.

Need some help from y'all: I am not inclined to have a full mount done. Frankly, I'm strapped for cash-- been out of work since July.

European mounts look like they'd be icky to DIY. I don't have the freezer space to hold onto him until Spring and then bury the head.

I brought the head and hide home. Outside of sawing off the antlers the way I usually do and mounting them on a plaque, what could I do to preserve this guy?

I had thought I'd give the pics to the taxi man after I get flush again. He should be able to do a mount with the tongue and the overbite, right?

If you want to do a European mount, just skin the head now. Get as much as you can out of it and hang it in a tree or something until spring. You may want to wrap the antlers though because they will fade to white from the sun. But that is fixable too. Cocoa bean stain brings back the original look again. Or you could skin the head out and boil it (soft boil) now. Stinky and messy process but it can be done. www.taxidermy.net has good advice on euro mounts. Check it out.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...