You make my point very well.

Again, what is the problem if one follows accepted reloading practices and published data?

There is none.

...the Marlin 1895G 45-70 with the 350 grain Hornady FP is very capable of achieving 2080 fps with safe loads. Of course, it depends on the individual rifle, the source of the published load and the components used.

Really? Where? I only doubt it myself because I haven't seen any published data that will. That doesn't mean that there isn't some out there. I just haven't seen it. If you know please share.

As far as I know there is no way to know that you are within the 40,000 cup limit with the published Hodgdon loads without actually measuring the pressure. Of course if you have the same rifle they used and the same barrel length you might use a chronograph to estimate similar conditions but even the chrono won't do the trick if the barrel is the 18 1/2" Guide version. And to refer back to one of the points in my original post:

.... a 25% pressure jump for less than 4% increase in the charge.

This refers to two grains of powder, two different guns, but a very steep pressure increase. Just why cannot be determined but it is an accepted admonition even with stronger rifles to use caution when the pressure curve begins to make abrupt changes such as that. While their data reflects two different rifles and wouldn't automatically be the same in a single gun it does, at least, suggest that the propellent used may have this tendency in this cartridge.

And to assume, as some seem to, that is possible to get a certain velocity (with their own handloads) because one can buy ammo that gets there is pointless as well. Without know exactly what components are being used commercially as well as any special methods they use, one cannot 'copy' a certain loading without pressure measuring equipment.

I don't doubt the strength of the Marlin. The early modern version I lost years ago produced plenty of power. I don't doubt that my current carbine version will serve as well and I don't mind working it to its potential. I just want to it to be as safe and reliable as the rest of the guns I own. And I really don't care what anyone else does to their 1895 except that it would be a great disservice to Marlin and a stain on the reputation of a great rifle if a bunch of these guns began to show up on the used gun racks in questionable condition.