Yeah, me too. The outfitter (Wynn Condict) is a real mule deer nut, and grew up on the family ranch so knows rthe area real well. After we hunted and talked mule deer for a few days, we just talked mule deer even more!

One of the big things about guided mule deer hunting, I have learned, is finding an outfitter who really understands them. Some outfitters just take mule deer as they come, along with whatever else comes along, whether pronghorn, blakc bear, elk or whatever.

Wynn knows those animals too, but his real love is mule deer. He also knew that I wasn't going to shoot unless it was a really good buck, so we worked pretty well together--and got lucky too. But I have also found that the longer I hunt, the luckier I get.

A lot of people think getting a good mule deer on a guided hunt is easy, but it ain't. I know, because I have hunted them a lot--as a "self-guided" hunter (whatever that means), a guide, and a client. many hunters still expect to book a mule deer hunt and find big ones standing around waiting to be shot. It doesn't work that way, but if you know mule deer a little and the outfitter does too, then the chances get a lot better.

I have ended up not pulling the trigger on many mule deer hunts, either because I didn't see the buck I wanted, or saw him and it didn't work out!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck