Originally Posted by Blueprinted
Butch makes nice dies. JLC precision can make adjustments to stock dies. I would give Lonny a call at Hornady custom shop. He is a case forming wizard and can spin you up form dies fairly reasonable priced. Should be able to get away with two form dies and full length size. Or one form die to knock the shoulders back then use bushings. If Canjun Blake does not respond shoot him a PM he knows his chit when it comes to forming brass, he will help you a bunch. How does the Saum case compare to the RCM case? Any chance of blowing that brass out? never handled a RCM case to compare.

Yeah, Robert Greenleaf gave me Lonnie's name as well, just haven't been able to get in touch with him yet.

Butch, I looked at your site but am a little confused. Is your forming die set is just a generic forming die with various bushing for different neck sizes? If that's the case, what determines shoulder angle and/or the diameter at the body/shoulder junction? Also, how does it support the body of the case to prevent it from buckling?

Here's a drawing of what I'm looking to do.

[Linked Image]

The standard 300 RCM has an outside neck dia. of 0.337", and the body shoulder junction is at roughly 1.640" from the base. Here's a shot of the virgin RCM brass next to a 30-06 and 250 Savage for comparison.

[Linked Image]

As for how the RCM compares to the SAUM, it's a little smaller in diameter (0.532" vs. 0.550") and has a little longer body (1.640" vs 1.538"). The 338 RCM is the same OAL as the SAUM (2.015"), while the 300 RCM is the same length as the WSM's at 2.100" (new brass measures right at 2.088").

Last edited by MrFurious; 12/17/08.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!