I did my custom vz 24 because I could do it a little at a time and I had good connections with a local gun shop that told me how to do what I could and did not charge me a lot for what they did for me. After almost 3 years I ended up with a rifle that I really love. I had a lot of fun, learned a lot, and might do it again if the circumstances are right. Good surplus actions are getting a lot harder to find and are rarely a bargin anymore.

$70 8mm Mauser vz-24
$20 Cleaning supplies (40 years of cosmoline/oil/carbon)
$10 Refinsh stock
$30 Timney trigger

Barrel was worthless, and while talking to the gunsmith I ended up trading my cleaned up mauser for another vz-24 that already had all the basic work (bolt handle, safety, scope mounts) done by one of the gunsmiths who decided not to finish.

$125 (new mauser $195-$75 trade in and I got to keep Timney trigger.)

$80 Choate stock (not fancy but it works)
$60 .270 barrel (FN barrel off JC Higgens, smith installed and recut a match chamber for free)
$150 glass bed, trigger work, metal work.

I know that I spent at least $500 if not $600, but like I said I enjoyed the ride. If you can afford it and know that you are getting want then I say have fun because it is your dream! All that said I agree with others that you should try to get a commercial mauser action.

Last edited by BooDude; 01/10/09.

Reputation is what others think they know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your Honor and outlive the bastards. Ariel Vorkosigan