I served in the Army Field Artillery and it was definitely a good decision. I am glad that I served my country. Beyond that I learned a great deal, grew some, and had the opportunity to do many things that I would otherwise never have done.

Yes, there is risk associated with the military, including getting killed or injured. Outside of the combat arms (infantry in particular), that risk falls dramatically. And there is also the risk that the skills one learns are not applicable to the civilian world. (Hunting down and killing somebody is not in such great demand in the civilian world.)

If those risks are concerns, go into one of the support branches and learn a good trade or skill. The military will train the service member in a lifetime employable skill, provide years of experience, and pay a salary as well.

One also learns how to work in a large organization and deal with co-workers. Schools don't teach these skills.

Certainly, it is not for everyone. Particularly those who are not going to handle the socialization of working in groups of people well. But for most, it is a worthwhile experience.

Chuck