sixbits,

Not trying to be argumentative, but that's fine if you know and can control your environment. I know one very knowledgable shooter who carried a rifle from an air conditioned outbuilding shop into his house, and found later that the bore had rusted from the moisture picked up in the trip across the yard. This was in MS, very humid.

Bluedreaux's caution about the Play-Doh illustrates what I said about being careful about the contents of these various products, silicone being my main concern. That's why I use art store modeling clay. It seems fairly neutral and non-greasy.

As an aside, as an amateur stock finisher I have become leery of using common erasers to back sandpaper. You can't count on their being rubber anymore, and I wonder particularly about silicone. I've had them melt and become slimy from normal finishing solvents like mineral spirits.

None of these modern manufacturing materials seem good for finishes and bedding materials. That's why I prefer old fashioned low tech stuff like beeswax, floor wax, and the like.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.