Originally Posted by TJR
Does anyone have any experience with the 358 Norma Mag, ie: on game performance, recomended barrel lenght, recoil energy, should i maybe install a muzzle break. Basicly i have run across one and iam thinking of picking it up. I know ammo is spendy but i figured i would roll my own. any imputs would great.

I've had one for several years now, and have used it just enough to think I'm an expert. grin

As has been said already, there's probably not much difference in performance between the 338, 340, 358, 9.3X6X or the 375's. Mine was a rebarrel of a 300Wby, and the 338 seemed like half a step. I wanted to take a step up, yet still be flat shooting and manageable recoil-wise . It seems to do that. With a 225 grain TSX at 2950, I don't wish I had a 300mag in my hands on long range shots.

Recoil and muzzle brakes: Only you can answer that as recoil tolerances are different. If you can handle a 30-06 with 180 grainers or a 300 mag, you can probably handle a 358 Norma. It is worth noting that the 225 grain bullets kick less than the 250's. If I haven't used my Norma for a few months, it really gets my attention at first if I'm using the full house 250 grainers. It does take a bit of practice to be comfortable with it. It's also a very easy cartridge to load down, so you can start lower and work up.

Muzzle brake? If I need to resort to a muzzle brake, I'd definitely go with a lighter recoiling rifle. I want nothing to do with the things; I like my hearing too much.

It is a very easy cartridge to load for. 225 grainers can beat 2900 fps, and 250 grainers can get to 2800 fps.

Barrel Length? Relative to bore size this is not a large cartridge. It will work very well with a 22" barrel. Mine is 23 1/2" because I find rifles balance better for me with a slightly longer barrel and because I like round numbers. wink

Bottom line? It's a great cartridge and mine is not for sale. Re reloading, I'd use Winchester 300Win brass and trim the neck to fit your chamber. You can use 338 Win brass but then you are blowing the shoulder forward, I don't like doing that as it weakens the brass; it is essentially headspace until the first firing fireforms it. With the 300Win you are pushing the shoulder back a bit which positively fits the shoulder junction to fit your chamber. Much easier to do than to explain it.

Hope this helps.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.