Originally Posted by TJR
Hey thanks guys, i decided against picking that particular gun up. But i did buy a ruger M77 (tang saftey) in 7mm that as soon as it gets here it will way to Mcgowen to get a new barrel chambered to 358 Norma Mag. iam thinking 23 inch 4140 barrel, bead blast the barrel and action dura coat everything drop it into a Bell and Carlson stock (bed the action of course).

one ?

Rick you said use 300 win mag brass , why not 358 norma brass, is that due to the cost or what?

Yes. I am in Sweden (home of the .358 Norma of course) and I get get .358 Norma Mag brass easily (and it is high quality Norma brass). However, even here it costs more than .300 Win brass.

I have also necked up a bunch of 7mm Rem Mag brass to .358 Norma Mag. Not ideal (the neck ends up a tad short) but I had way more 7mm Rem brass than I needed... and I was itching to shoot my new .358 Norma mag, so I used what I had! smile

Do not let the fact that .358 Norma brass is not common nor cheap interfere with your plans to get one! The cost savings in practice bullets put the .358 Norma ahead of the .338 Win Mag and the .375 H&H Mag. At least, that is how I justified buying a .358 Norma after I already had the other two calibres! grin

Please do not hesitate to contact me or Rick if you need help in justifying another rifle.... wink

John