At the gun shop I saw an Ithaca 1911 A1 with correct US military markings. Excellent condition (looks nearly new), except the serial number was strange. Looked like it was put on amateurishly in large font. I asked the owner and he said it was a "lunch box gun." He explained that it was likely either made from parts that were smuggled out by a worker from the Ithaca factory during WWII or it was smuggled out whole before it got a serial number. Later, in order to make it legal, the police department put a serial number on it when it came into the hands of a cop who inherited it from his father.

They want $800.00 out the door for it. My question is, since this is not really a military 1911 A1, is it worth $800.00? I mean, it probably never had its parts fitted together to factory standards, i.e., it was likely made from freshly made Ithaca parts that were smuggled out one by one. Looks practically new, though. It looks great, in fact, until you notice the odd serial number. Is this a risky purchase, or a "jump on it" deal? Thanks.