Originally Posted by Altjaeger
Ok, maybe I am out of date or maybe it is local preferences. I hunted in Hessen in 1980, 1981 and 1982 and in lower Bavaria in 1991 and 1992. The small game like the roebuck and the chamois was short cut and placed on a plaque as shown. The larger deer like the red stag and the fallow stag was cleaned, bleached and hung whole, minus the lower jaw.

Altjaeger

I've travelled quite a bit around Germany, Austria, Belgium and France and there's no real uniformity when it comes to trophy cuts...Local preferences and traditions along with "fashion" ie what people see in the hunting magazines or on the net all plays a part.

The only time it really matters if you are having a trophy scored by CIC. With Roe for example, the whole skull (less the bottom jaw) is weighed...If you have cut your skull, set compensationary points are awarded to make up for the lost weight. However, most people would say that these compensationary points are not very generous and its far better not to cut the skull if its to be scored..

If you look at that first pic I posted of the three Roe heads, the bottom was measured as a bronze medal just missing silver..

The reaon it was cut so short was done to my stupidity.

On getting the Roe back home, I took the head off and put it in a bucket of water to soak while I dealt with the carcass...

I had skinned the carcass, and was part way through butchering it when it dawned on me my Border Terrier was not hanging around as per usual when meat was in the offing.

A dire feeling of dread came over me as I went to look and found the over turned bucket...Further searching found him behind the shed happily chewing on the head! shocked mad cry

Luckily he'd not had time to cause too much damage and one very short skull cut later things didn't look as bad as I first feared. I couldn't get too mad as I'd taught him to track using discarded deer heads eek

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 04/19/09.