Being broke and a gun nut, my mind is wandering. With cash now burning a hole in the pocket, I am wavering even more. This may turn out to be me answering my own question at the end, but wanted public ideas.

I will put this in caps, as most skim and respond without really knowing the original question. I SHOOT LEFT HANDED.

1. I have a Winchester 70 Classic LH in 7 Mag that doesn't shoot like I want it to. Was really set on getting a nice barrel and having it rebarreled to 338 Win Mag. Topping it with a Leupy with an elevation turret and being ready to tackle about anything in NA and my African plains game trip. BCs on the 225 Accubond are stellar. Thought this would weigh in around 8.5 or so when finished. Most of this was over the glass smooth action of the 70 and the CRF.

BUT, I already have a semi-rare factory LH 700 in 338 Win Mag. Shoots well, and feeds well. Just blued steel, and a 24"tube. Not so neaty-cooly with a McMillan and Cerakote. But it's bedded into a B+C stock and has a 3.5-10X Leupy which could probably go back for the elevation turret. Scope is gloss, so the whole shebang is not so Campfire Cool.

2.Grab a nice, new Ruger African in .375Ruger. Get another LH CRF, 3 position safety, back up irons, which for some reason seem like a plus rather than a negative now, as I am usually very anti open sights on the ADL type rifles. Load up some non punishing 260 Accubonds, which also do not have a terrible BC, and do the same thing?

Fly in this ointment is that I have a custom 375 Ultra Mag. It is manageable, but is not breaked, and you need to pay attention when shooting it.

I know most will poo-poo the need for such large rounds, but it's just my personal taste or beliefs. Not a fan of the 243s for deer. Never ever warmed up to the 270 for anything, though I am trying to find new love for a 270WSM in a Tikka I never really wrung out.

So I am fan of +.30 calibers, though I have never shot an elk. Hoping to finally draw, and if so, I have a guided hunt waiting for me in 16B of the Gila. Better than average chance of a bull of a lifetime.

And finally, most also say that there are not many opportunities for shots over 300 yards. I beg to differ. Though most have been at mule deer, I can think of no shots I have taken here out West in NM, ID, or WA that were under 160 yards, save one Blacktail spike at 20 yards with a 45-70.

Even the bear I took in WA was above timberline with no way to close the distance before dark.....402 yards.

So, will a 375 Ruger with either a B+C reticle or a elevation turret do what I need to 400?

I guess there seems to be much more a want than a need as I have both choices doubled in already having a serviceable, but plain 338, and a hot rod Long Range 375.

So I did not answer my own question. Torn over the look and feel of the African, vs my All Time favorite round in the 338 Win Mag.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....