I ride a Yamaha Stratoliner. Got back into riding about a year ago, and made the decision to wear full protective gear (boots, armored gloves, armored jacket, and a full-face helmet) - no exceptions. I figure to some degree that it is what you get used to, and if I started off with all of the gear I wouldn't feel like I was missing any of the riding experience if I had started wearing no gear and then tried to make the switch back. The helmet is an HJC AC-12 that I really like, and don't feel it compromises my vision at all. I wear contacts, so the visor keeps too much wind from drying out and irritating my eyes on extended rides. I wear an armored leather jacket as much of the year as I can stand, but when it gets a little warm here in Central Texas (100+ degrees)I have an armored mesh jacket that I swap out with. I have a couple of riding buddies that think I'm nuts wearing the gear in the heat, but one case of road rash or worse and wearing the gear may be one of the smartest decisions I made that day... YMMV.