Originally Posted by vital_kill
Here in california the big hogs are out and rooting all over the wet hillsides. My brother popped out of nowhere and grabbed me and my rifle and we took off. We stopped by the nearest toy store and I decided to grab a box of Federal 110 grain Barnes TTSX to try out. We got to the landowners house and saw rootings everywhere. So off we went, and within 2 hours of the hunt me and my big bro saw two big hogs wandering around a knoll and I placed the crosshairs right on him, a nice broadside shot. I took the shot and the boar just flew off like nothing hit him, ran into the thickets of live oak and I wasn;t able to get a second shot. We waited for 2 hours before we started tracking. No blood, nothing for 3 hours of tracking. Called in my buddy and his dog, he came up and we tracked for 2 miles of where I shot him and then finally the dog found the boar. Upon examining the entrance hole, it was very small, then we flipped the pig over and the exit hole was very small too. We gutted him up and the organs weren't heavily damaged, just a small hole through both lungs. Looks like it was hit with a FMJ. I supposed the bullet didn't opened up. I am very dissapointed with this style bullet. But, I will give it a few more chances to see how it performs as only one experience is not enough to judge.

Personally, I have never tried these bullets yet though I've recently been thinking of giving them a shot. Vital kill describes my apprehension. If my first experience was like this, it might be enough for me. IMO, there is something very wrong with a two mile track job on any double lung hit animal. Pigs are tough, but not armor plated. I'd be running partitions or A-Frames and the like.

CLB

Last edited by CLB; 05/01/09.