Dammit! A thread like this just as I'm about to pull the plug.

I'm a tad rusty on my history but it seems like 1777 was late for an Indian attack in that area, from what I can remember the main battleground by then having shifted to the Ohio River Valley. Likewise I know Joseph Brant's Mohawks raided deep into the Delaware River Vally during the Revolutionary War.

An entirely different story twenty years earlier, when IIRC much of Frontier Pennsylania was repeatedly attacked and the population decimated.

I ain't gonna excuse a massacre, but it is relevant to point out similar outrages were perpetrated against the Indians. The common thread to both sorts of massacres being that it was the innocent who usually paid the price.

In any event, from an Indian standpoint by 1777 the perpetrators of that raid were operating deep behind enemy lines, perhaps explaining in part why no captive were taken. Of course by then maybe racial hatreds had risen to a point that taking captives was unlikely, although the Shawnee along the Ohio were still doing so regularly.

Birdwatcher

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 06/11/04.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744