StubbleDuck:

For a number of reasons, not many of us shoot the .25-20. Note that in recent years Marlin learned the hard way that it couldn't keep its .218 Bee, .25-20, .32 H&R Magnum and .32-20 variants of the Model 1894 in production: insufficient sales. Factory ammunition for all four of these chamberings is hard to find and quite expensive when found. The Cowboy Action Shooting community is probably the biggest market for .32 H&R Magnum and .32-20 WCF arms and ammunition.

Reloaders can buy cases through the mail. I have been told, and I have read, that .25-20 and .32-20 cases don't live through many reloading cycles. Part of the reason for .25-20 and .32-20 cases' short reloading lives is that Marlin used a longer chamber for its .25-20 and .32-20 rifles than Winchester used. I don't know which chamber lengths Remington and Savage used. But the result for the reloader's budget can be pretty grim until each rifle's quirks are understood and mastered. Two of Paco Kelly's articles on leverguns.com, "Marlin 32-20: It's Not a Mouse Gun" and "32-20 Winchester Centerfire 1882," have more information about the specific differences between Winchester and Marlin .25-20 and .32-20 chambers and how a reloader can cope with those differences.

Bullets for the .218 Bee are no problem, but bullets for the other three cartridges can be hard to find. Those who cast their own bullets can have a regular supply as long as suitable metals are available.

Most shooters who understand the advantages that the .25-20 offers its users have eyes too old to use open sights. Even aperture rear sights strain some of us ambulant antiques. But all the .25-20 and .32-20 rifles that I've ever seen in the wood and metal have been stocked for iron sight use only.

In my market area, .25-20 and .32-20 rifles are priced at levels far beyond their perceived "shooting value." Spare parts availability can be a nightmare if something wears out or breaks. Many of us older shooters, the folks most likely to know what the .25-20 and .32-20 offer, are now retirees living on fixed incomes.

ozzy the nuke:

Enjoy that .25-20 Remington pump. Feed it factory-equivalent loads, maintain it properly and your great-grandchildren may be enjoying it a century hence!

Last edited by TwentyTwo; 05/30/09. Reason: Specific information on Paco Kelly's articles about reloading the .25-20 and .32-20.