olgrouser and MW406,

Maximum OAL of 2.515 did not want to load and feed in my very old brass rotary magazine rifle. Tip points hit and snag on the feed ramp. Book max must be max, period, for all known rifles so chambered such as later model 99's and maybe the model 20 bolt actions and such. Playing around with OAL's I have come to a max for my rifle anyway of 2.490 to ensure reliable feeding. Perhaps with the round nose bullets so commonly used back then the 2.515 would have worked.

In thinking about this situation perhaps mine is set up different than most as it was built the very first year of the 250/3000 cartridge's introduction 1914. Not at all uncommon for a rifle or a car or anything new and mechanical to morph a time or two after a new initial introduction. The geometry and such on these brass rotary magazines is pretty touchy I have heard. For sure I will not be taking a rat tail file to my little rifles innards!

Short OAL distraction aside, the more I handle this rifle the better I like it. Becoming a confirmed Savage model 99 addict and the next few nice model 99's I find and bring home will probably find a nest in my safe. These things are COOL!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500