Originally Posted by rost495
I dunno if I'd call the carbine the best self defense weapon by a LONG shot.... We've shot a lot of hogs with them and have never been impressed, I'd take a light short AR ANY day over that 30 carbine round. And I"ve been much more impressed with my carry kimber on hogs, 45 acp.

I've shot a carbine all the way to 200 yards a LOT in practice matches and such, just ain't much of anything IMHO.

That being said I've hunted deer with a 32-20 the last year and been happy, its an antique but its far from what I'd call the ideal deer round even though I took 2 deer and a javelina with it.

Jeff

I wasn't thinking self-defense in the four-legged animal kingdom but self-defense in the two-legged kingdom. Having used a full size M-16 and a full size M-1 carbine and I like the M-1 better because it was always with you. The M-16 was a bigger rifle and heavier and one had a tendency to lay the M-16 against a tree or leave it in the vehicle rather than having it with you when you needed it. One could just lay the M-1 carbine across one's back and the little rifle would just stay there until needed.

Rear area troops need a self-defense weapon that frees the hands and yet is always available. The full size M-16 did not fit that need well at all. Civilians have the same needs as rear area troops, hands free and their self-defense weapon always available, the M1 carbine fits that role better than any AR type rifle.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude