The Sako-extractor conversion is done by a few people who simply can't stand the Remington 700 extractor on theory alone. One gunsmith of my acquaintance was quite fond of doing it until a few of his customers (the typical hot-rod type handloaders) blew a few cases, which by some not-so-odd coincidence blew out right where he made the bolt-face cut for the Sako extractor. The gunsmith finally decided it was a bad idea and quit doing it.

I don't really know how many rounds I have put through Remington 700's over the decades, but offhand I can remember owning 700's in .204, .223 (several), .220 Swift, .243, .250 Savage, .260, .270 (several), 7mm-08, 7x57, .30-06 (several), .300 Winchester Magnum and .35 Whelen Improved. Obviously some were chambered for wildcats. The total nmber of rounds must be in the tens of thousands, and more likely over 100,000, since some were used for prairieie dog shooting.

I have yet to have a 700 extractor break. Not that it can't happen, but obviously the odds are pretty low. I also can't remember a 700 not extracting a case. Yet I constantly read about the POS 700 extractor....

I also have never broken a bolt handle off on a 700, yet from some of the Internet stuff you'd think that they fall off every 100 rounds or so. (And yes, I have stuck a case or three in 700's, and had to tap the bolt handle to open the action.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck