I have also had a Remington 700 extractor shave brass. One out of fifty or more I have shot extensively.

This one was a newer 7mm Magnum, fortunately it happened at the range and I had my cleaning kit with me. I just swabbed out the slivers and then rubbed metal polish on the extractor with a Q-tip. Then I fired another 20 or so rounds with the grit on the bolt face. It never happened again.

If it happened in the field and I had caught this early on I think I could have cleaned it up with a sharpened stick if I had to. It's a matter of detecting it before metal slivers get under the extractor. If it is occurring you will see bright spots on the rim and can feel a little resistance when you chamber a round. Easy to do at the bench less so while hunting. This is another reason to break in any rifle prior to a hunt.

I still have complete faith in the Remington extractors and even more in the "three rings of steel" which I have seen protect a shooter from a gross overload. A situation that might have required emergency attention with some other bolt guns.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli