I do a lot of snook fishing around barnacle encrusted pilings and I agree with the advice on braid, #20 or #30 isn't bad. I like it when the equiv of mono is about 12-14# test. One thing I've found is that when I buy a spool of braid and it lists the equiv diameter to mono, I am NEVER able to get that amount of line onto my reel. For example. If my reel says that it will hold 150yds of 12lb test, if I buy braid with a 12lb test diameter, I am not able to get the full 150yds onto the reel. Its always more like 130yds....I suppose it has a lot to do with the stretch of mono

Anyway, one thing I wanted to mention. You will probably want to attach a mono leader onto your braid line. Most of my fishing involves a leader of some length. For abraision resistance, I use Flourocarbon leaders. They are so abraision resistant that I am often able to drop down to much lower line tests for leader material. For tarpon fishing, 80# of Ande line used to be pretty much the norm...now with Flouro, I can easily get by with 60#. I like Seagar. It can be a little pricy, especially in the heavy weights, but it cannot be beat for avoiding abraision. Compared to regular mono its night and day.