oldgunsmith,

If necessary, I could just stuff a rod down my Browning 71 and determine the twist ... I'm not looking to buy factory ammo. I just wince everytime I figure the price of .348 brass the few times I find it. Ouch!!! Although the rifle wasn't cheap, I didn't pay as much as I see most of them listed for.

Honestly, sometimes I think I have too many choices when season rolls around. I guess I remember when I didn't have choices, and felt the need to rectify it ... with more than a little overlap in calibers grin.

Incidentally, I saw a thread on the shootersforum (post #43 by 3840wcf) where it was posted that Clements Custom Guns formed 348 from 45/70. See pic below. The greater diameter at the base is the biggest difference I noted in comparing the dimensions of the .348 and the 45/70. The rims are virtually identical. The overall length of the 45/70 is a few hairs short, but might lengthen when worked. I've never taken on any such task, but it's kind of intriguing ... but probably more effort required than just buying 348 brass. Perhaps they fire-formed it confused ? I note he also states, that it equals the ballistics ... perhaps the case capacity is slightly different, but with similar pressures with worked up loads.

By Clements custom guns. Brass is formed from 45/70 and equals the ballistics of the .348 Winchester
[Linked Image]