Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

German built?
1970's - 80's era Japan built?
American built?
Are they not currently built in Japan?

About a decade ago I read an article from Weatherby that they had a falling out with the Japanese government and had found a company that built weapons for the military in Saco Maine, Saco Manufacturing I think it was. As far as I know they are still building Weatherby actions.

BTW: I went to the Weatherby site and built a Weatherby left-hand rifle for over $3,000 and that with a "custom" stock that would not have fit me. I stayed away from any fancy extras, just a plain Jane. For that kind of money I can have a custom rifle built to my specs with a stock that fits.

Derby, it looks like we are both wrong. I was sure the Saco thing had come to an end several years ago. This is what I found if the source can be believed.

Weatherby currently offers two lines of rifles: the Mark V and the Vanguard. The Mark V is manufacted by ATEK in Brainerd, MN while the barrel and action for the Vanguard are manufactured by Howa in Japan. Final assembly of the Vanguard is performed at Weatherby's company headquarters in Paso Robles, CA. The Mark V sports Weatherby's 9-lug bolt, which is reportedly the strongest bolt action available. Both the Mark V and Vanguard are available as sub-MOA rifles in various models (ranging from blued to stainless steel metal and kevlar to wood stocks) and calibers .223 through .300 Weatherby Magnum. Calibers .340 through .460 are only available on the Mark V platform due to the stronger bolt.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.