Elk calves actually have a very low mortality rate, unless it is a tough winter and there are a ton of wolves. They are far bigger than deer fawns, have a more diverse diet, better insulating hair and longer legs to get through snow and brush. I see a lot of young calves on the winter ranges each year without mothers, especially after cow season. I would easily say that 15% of calves are motherless, but do just fine. Since elk are herd animals, the herd really doesn't care if the calves are orphans or not. The bulls are off in bachelor herds, so they don't pick on the calves. I often see the motherless calves hanging out together and romping around. If the calf elk still had spots, I "might" worry about it a bit, but again, they get VERY vocal and will find the herd and be fine. Even if the herd is a canyon away, they will find each other. They have the same migration routs and they are all very vocal and stink, so they easily find more of their kind. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.