Originally Posted by McInnis
I was hunting the the foothills of the Sierra Madres in southern Wyoming a couple of weeks ago. It was during bull season and I saw a cow walk past me with a calf that looked to be nearly half grown. Then two days ago I was in that same area and shot a cow. I didn't see a calf but my son was with me and said he saw a calf run out of the brush when I fired, so I am thinking it was the same cow I saw during bull season.

From the size of the calf I saw earlier I assumed it would have been weaned. It was way too big to still have its spots. But when I field dressed that cow her teats were swollen and the milk bag was full.

A blizzard hit southern Wyoming last night so we just got out of camp in time, but I cannot help wondering about that calf. Not much I can do now, but do you people who know about these things think it will survive? How long after a calf is weaned will its mother still make milk?

50/50. The chances of surviving the winter are reduced somewhat. But elk are also herd animals, and so the calf can hook up with tolerant cow/calf bunches, and continue to "learn the ropes" of migration, winter feed, ect......

Originally Posted by McInnis
How long after a calf is weaned will its mother still make milk?

October is when the calves are at the end of weaning, but the cow will still have milk. Virtually every cow accompanied by a calf will have milk in her breasts if killed in October. But very few still have milk if killed in November. The lack of milk is unlikely to affect the calf's survival--mom has had enough of nursing by then anyway......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.