I'm a long time Thompson shooter. Currently have 4 Contender frames and 13 scoped barrel sets. Don't own an Encore as yet but the concept is the same. I have five barrels that are chambered for rifle rounds, .223Rem, 7X30Waters, 30-30Win, .411JDJ (wildcat based on a full length .444Marlin), and a 45-70. These are all super 14 configuration with breaks except the .411JDJ, which is quad, Mag-Na-Ported. First and foremost you can�t push the same sized bullets at the same speed in a 14-15 inch T/C as even in a short 20-inch carbine. You can load it at the same loading but you will just make great, big, fireballs at the end of your barrel when all that unburned powder gets blown out. Where these calibers shine is when you load �different� from factory loadings. For instance, you can�t find a 30-30 commercial loading with any bullet but a round or flat nose. In my 30-30 I load a 130g Barnes X push it as fast as I can. I shoot close, real close, nothing longer than 30 yards, and always in the shoulders, and I want that bullet break bones, and to pass through. The Barnes will hold together at those close ranges and under those conditions of breaking bones, and always goes through. The 7X30Waters is an excellent rifle round for the Contender or Encore as it does lend itself to loading for the short barrels. I load a 120G Barnes X in this caliber for the same reasons as stated above about the 30-30. You must remember that by going with the Encore and its 15 inch barrel you will be giving up as much as 1000fps for same bullet loadings. At the typically short ranges (100-150 yards) that most handgun hunters limit themselves to the animal will never know it, BUT if you try to stretch that range you could run into trouble. Of all those shooters I know who shoot single shot pistols NONE shoot factory stuff except in 22lr and cheap, practice .223Rem stuff all their hunting ammo is hand loads. As for the breaks if I had to do it again I�d ditch the breaks.

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's