Onnie, I hunt coyotes here in Montana off snowshoes all the time. It's the only way to cover country in some of the areas I go to in December and January. I carry my rifle strapped to my pack. That keeps it out of the snow if I hook a shoe and fall. I'd go with a shotgun over a .22 any day. I'd take a look at some of the new shotshell coyote loads ammunition companies have come out with lately though, I've killed a bunch of coyotes with good old copper plated BBs. You'll have to call a coyote in pretty close for the shotgun to be effective. Let's say within 40 yards, maybe a little further if you use larger, heavier shot. Get an instructional tape or CD and a standard cottontail distress call and have at it. I wouldn't worry about the pelts. It sounds like you have limited experience with coyotes so you might not get the thing skinned properly anyways. Fur buyers are pretty particular. What you could do when you get a coyote with decent fur is to go ahead and skin it, have it tanned and make a couple of fur collars for coats or something like that.

[Linked Image]