@Lance - Thanks

@Jeff - I really couldn't tell you as we never had a "season" per se. We would get a call from uncle saying we had to go pick up the pig. He didn't mean from a grocery store. Or when aunty said to go out back and get a chicken, she didn't mean from the freezer.

@Rolly - I don't know what to tell you. We did it. We had a very strict up bringing. You respected your elders and did as you we're told. Non-compliance would land you a head smack. This is what we do and how we do it, although let me state two points:

1) We never used a knife that dull or that small. Slicing the main artery seem to kill the animal as fast as a bullet through both lungs or an arrow. The fight leading up to the cut could be seen as inhuman, but this is how we put food on the table and that pig has the capability to do major damage to you and your dogs.

2) Eat a burger lately? Visit any slaughter houses? Cows aren't shot, not the ones I've seen anyway.

Earlier, what I said about tourist and hunting in Hawaii. I hope you folks know I was only joking. I would never tell anyone not to go there. If you do go, please use a guide or a family friend that has hunted there. They know where the animals are and what "area's" you should stay away from. That's all I'll say on that topic. And yes you can use a gun or bow =)

In the words of our last reining monarch
"Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono"
The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness

Aloha
HaYen

Last edited by HaYen; 12/11/09. Reason: fixed typo

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can