My first dedicated squirrel and bird guns were Daisy air rifles. I shot stuff you "can't" kill will a pellet gun, cause its all I had.

My first 22 single-shot has Sears stampings on it, I still have it. I lost the elevation blade (it moved, dunno if it even was the right one). I used to use a dime, the rear edge pushed into the flame/torch junction (cause not all Yankees liked FDR).

I shot plies of small game with it; yes, like you even sparrows and squirrel heads out to 100 yards (corelokt might cry BS again).

I even have my great-grandfather's Win 1890, complete with a nail through the stock......(prolly to adjust someone from Tate's Hell (grins)).

I was probaly a better shot when I was 12 than I am now, certainly with irons. I literally walked with iron every day. Now I have a job and a family and live in town and fire as much as I can when I can, it doesn't make up for every day.

I started with smoothbore slugs and a bird barrel, and shot a lot of deer with such.

A hundred yards depends a lot on what your shooting at, what your shooting with and most importantly, you, IME.