My own experience includes "autopsying" well over 300 deer. Nobody seems to resist when you volunteer for that duty, and for many years, I was so fascinated with the results that I'd almost always volunteer for that duty. I hunt the south, where our average whitetails run from 120-180 lbs. AVERAGE, so my comments will apply specifically to them, and NOT to the larger 200+ pounders typically found in other regions.

I have concluded that - FOR WHITETAILS SPECIFICALLY - hydrostatic shock DOES exist, and not only that, but it WORKS, and it works RELIABLY and WELL, but it works only by far better with the "softer" and quickly expanding bullets and velocities over about 2700 fps or so, on up to maybe 3100 fps.

WITHIN THESE SPECIFIC LIMITS, AND ON WHITETAILS, I believe hydrostatic shock is possibly one of a hunter's best freinds, and if one has the discipline and wherewithall to wait for a good shot, and place the bullet well, killing whitetails in their tracks is not only easy, it's really sort of our obligation as a good hunter.

How about tying your necropsy experiences to the thesis that hydrostatic shock exists?

I don't think it does, but the temporary bullet cavity can have an impressive effect.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."