Dennisinaz: From the quote above, you obviously have never hunted with me. I have no issue at all with bipods or tripods. When I'm after anything from 2 1/2 inch tall ground squirrels to 6 foot moose, the absolute first thought when sighting a critter is "where's a good rest?" I ALWAYS have a bipod and an external pack frame on my body. Neither unit has a bulkey trough that needs to be clamped to my rifle's firearm. With either one, I can rapidly be rock solid in a manner of seconds, and easily locked onto game out to around 500 yds. My bipod is useful either standing (6 4") or sitting, and it weighs about 1/2 lb. In the last year, I've passed around 6000 rnds across my bipod and pack frame. Most were at ground squirrels, but the pack frame was good for a 450 (GPSed distance) yd elk.

As posted in the web page add, that unit would require an additional gun bearer to pack it around. It's a $119 implement that is probably worth about 4 dollars. One is also stuck with the purchase of about a $200 tripod if he wants any sort of secure rest at all. In my book it's still expensive garbage that would receive a good laugh in our camps. We have tripods for birding and camera work far superior to and more expensive than those pictured, and there is no way I would pack them from 6,000 up to 10,000 feet 10 days in a row in elk country. Might be nice in a Texas deer stand or out road hunting, but even then, I'd have it installed out near the end of the forearm where it might be of some utility. One would be far ahead packing around a $30 bipod and $25 lawn chair.

Another note: A photo like that above could net me a hefty fine and have me drummed out of scout activities forever if the background revealed that we were shooting from a public road. It's OK if one is on deeded land and the road is not open to the public. A definite no no if it's a country, state, or federal right of way.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/18/10.

1Minute